City of Calgary Road Sign Bylaws
- All signs regulated by this Bylaw must be located on a parcel.
- No sign, other than a Special Event Sign or an approved Sign – Class F or Sign – Class G, may display third party advertising.
- Signs, sign supports and structures for signs must be located a
minimum of 0.75 metres back from a curb line.
- Signs must not be placed in or on motor vehicle parking stalls or loading stalls and must be placed to not reduce the number of motor vehicle parking stalls or loading stalls required pursuant to this Bylaw or a development permit
Temporary Signs in Calgary
A Temporary Sign with a sign area greater than 1.5 square metres must be located on a Temporary Sign Marker that has been approved in accordance with the rules for Sign – Class E
- Permit Required
- Maximum number of signs per property
- 75m or less frontage allows for 1 sign
- 75 – 200m frontage allows for 2 signs
- 200m or greater frontage allows for 3 signs
- 4×4’ signs or smaller on private property do not require a permit
- Separation distance of 75m between signs
- 4×8’ or larger signs are required to be placed on a city marker. If a market needs to be created, there will be an additional one time fee
- 2×3’ commercial sign allowed on public land with a valid permit
- Non-profits are eligible to place signs on public land
The above regulations are summarized for the reader’s convenience. The Bylaws are always subject to their interpretation of the regulations in favor of the City of Calgary. The City may change the signage bylaws at any time. Detailed information may be found on their website