City of Fort McMurray Road Sign Bylaws
Portable Signs in Fort McMurray
A Portable Sign means a sign with a total area on one face of no greater than 4.6 m2 mounted on a frame or on a trailer, stand or similar support which together with the support can be relocated to another location, and may include a copy that can be changed manually through the use of detachable characters;
- All portable signs must have a valid sign permit or be placed on a valid sign marker. Are approved for all land use districts except CR, SH, HR, SE and any other residential land use districts.
- Signs must be set back 3m from the road & 10m from utility lines, road right-of-ways & intersections
- There must be a minimum of 25m between portable signs & 10m from a permanent sign
- No 3rd party advertising allowe
- The Development Officer may allow one temporary or portable sign (not both) per parcel announcing a special event, sale, relocation of a business, new business, or the future proposed development of a building or structure, or other function
- No person shall post or exhibit a temporary or portable sign in or on a vehicle of any type,
including tractor-trailer units, if it is temporarily or permanently parked
solely for the purpose of displaying the sign.
- It is not permitted to locate a temporary or portable sign so that it causes a traffic hazard, or conflicts with parking, loading, or walkway areas
- No Person shall in any land use district, locate a temporary or portable sign within the sight triangles indicated in Figure 58.2 of this Bylaw;
- It is not permitted to locate a temporary or portable sign within roadway rights-of-way or on public property, except where such roadway rights-of-way or other public property has been authorized for such purposes by the Municipality;
The above regulations are summarized for the reader’s convenience. The Bylaws are always subject to their interpretation of the regulations in favor of the City of Fort McMurray. The City may change the signage bylaws at any time. Detailed information may be found on their website